My New Year’s resolution was to be the best me that I can be. But I wasn’t sure how to go about doing it. Let’s be real, this isn’t exactly something you can measure.
So I started making a list. What are some of the things I did on the happiest days I’ve had recently? What are some things that just flat out make me happy? And what are some things I can do to put myself in a good place? Here’s what I came up with…
My 7 Happiness Habits
- Be in bed by 10pm – I really, really wanted to call this one “get at least eight hours of sleep”, but that just didn’t seem practical. I can’t force myself to sleep, but I can force myself to be in bed for eight hours.
- Drink one glass of water first thing in the morning – I need water. And lots of it. They say you should drink at least two litres of water a day, and I’m typically pretty close to that, but I do find I need to have the bulk of it in the morning to avoid a dehydration headache in the afternoon. So once I’m out of bed and downstairs I don’t let myself do anything until I’ve had a glass of water. Half the time I literally just stand there, half asleep in the kitchen, and chug a big glass of water before I even let myself sit down. It only takes 30 seconds and it can make a world of difference later in the day.
- Meditate – I aim for fifteen minutes a day, but to tick this off my list I really only need to do two. And I don’t have to do it perfectly, I just need to sit quietly with the intention of meditating and that’s enough. It helps me to be in the moment, calm myself down, and just enjoy the present.
- Read for FUN – I love reading. I’ve always loved reading. I go through spurts when I think I don’t have time for it so I don’t read anything for pleasure for months. But when I come back to it I always realize the error of my ways. So I make a point of reading for at least 5 minutes a day, but I’m much happier when it’s fifteen or more.
- Read for BUSINESS – I love learning too. I think I might be addicted. This gives me an excuse to feed that addiction and check something off my happiness list for the day. And call the whole thing work.
- Make something – Anything. Often it’s a photograph, but it could be writing a blog post or making a piece of origami from an old origami-a-day calendar. I’m a maker. And a maker’s gonna make.
- Intentional movement – I need to move my body with intention every single day. And I’ve come to realize I need to set aside the time and plan it in advance every day or it ain’t gonna happen. Usually it’s yoga, once in a while it’s jogging, and sometimes it’s going for a walk.
I put together a spreadsheet for myself (hello, type A?!) to make sure I do all of them every day. And I have an iCal alarm set for every evening after dinner to review my list (type A+?!) to make sure I finish them all up.
What do you do to keep yourself happy every day? Do you have a list of specific habits? Or have you found a less rigid solution?