Good Morning Everyone!
How was your weekend? Ours was just lovely! We stayed cozy at home, dreaming of comfort food and the warmth of spring.
I did a rough plan of our 2010 vegetable garden using this really great website: Gardener’s Supply Kitchen Garden Planner. We’re going to try for some leafy greens this year, which should work well with the amount of shade our backyard can get. Here’s a general idea of what we’re planning on growing:
- leeks, this will be our first year
- mache, we haven’t grown this before but we’re really excited
- mesclun, I’m itching to get things going (I know, it’s only March and I live in zone 6-ish) so I started a tray of mesclun to grow in our living room window.
- swiss chard
- eggplants, hey, a girl can dream
- “melon”, Darren would love to have fresh melon from our garden, I mean, who wouldn’t? But it’s just not practical here so I’ve asked him to choose something else that he can be excited about.
- dill – is it a bad idea to put dill right in the garden? Will it self seed and take over? Should we plant it in a pot?
I’m anxiously awaiting Seedy Saturday here in London so I can pick up some seeds and talk sunshine for an afternoon.
This past Saturday I visited the Western Fair Farmer’s Market to pick up this week’s fresh veggies and I came home with the hugest sweet potato that I’ve ever seen! 1818 grams to be exact. And yes, that’s a full size 10 inch dinner plate it’s sitting on. We’ve been cutting chunks off and making sweet potato fries – yum!
Our weekend was quite food-focused, which seems pretty typical for us. What’s your relationship with food? Love it? Cook it? Grow it? Sell it?