We hooked up our rain barrel a few weeks ago once the weather became milder and we didn’t need to worry about the water freezing. I can’t believe how much rainwater we use! So far this season it’s been completely full once and right now it’s totally empty. I really like using rain barrel water in our garden for a number of reasons:
- harvesting rainwater is a good water conservation method
- the water is free, and who doesn’t like free?
- I don’t have to lug around the hose every time I want to water the garden
- the water is usually warm, which I think the plants prefer to the cold tap water
- rainwater hasn’t been treated with chlorine and also saves the energy that would have been used at our local water treatment facility
- rainwater is very good for your plants
I use our rainwater on the plants in our vegetable and flower gardens, and also to water our postage stamp front yard. What do you use rainwater for?