I definitely count myself lucky that I get to do what I love every day. But doing something I’m passionate about is a bit of a double edged sword. That love, that passion, is hard to let go of at the end of the day. Plus, working from home there’s not really a hard stop after eight or ten hours so it’s super easy to work into the evening when I should be unwinding and taking care of myself.
As a result I spend a lot of time thinking about relaxing, when I should really just choose a time and set aside at least fifteen minutes to take off my studio hat and ease into my personal time.
I need a routine. Something to signify that my work day is over.
When Darren gets home from work I greet him with hugs and kisses and we have an afternoon snack and talk about our days. It’s a really nice way to connect but I need something more, because once I start talking about work, it’s all I can think about.
So I’ve started a list of my favorite ways to relax, with the dream of many more graceful evenings.
How to Relax After Work
- Read a Book – For me it’s gotta be something funny (because life’s too short not to laugh) or something that inspires personal growth.
- Be Creative – I know being a photographer has me thinking creatively all day long, but sometimes creativity without expectation is exactly what I need. It could be something as simple as styling the credenza, journaling, or even cooking or gardening. And occasionally it’s something artistic like paper crafts or painting. As long as it sets my soul free, I’m in. Bonus points if I think to put music on.
- Hot Bath – I definitely don’t do enough of this. Even a hot shower can be enough to shift my thoughts and wash away the day. And if I want to kick it up a notch, I’ll finish with a blast of cold water Scandinave style to flush out toxins and promote relaxation.
- Mindful Movement – Think slow and happy and with ease. If I haven’t had enough outdoor time I’ll take a short walk or if I’ve been sitting too long a little bit of Yoga with Adriene is a nice, yummy transition.
- Meditation – It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, even if it’s just a few deep breaths followed by sitting on the sofa and smiling for five minutes, it can really set the tone of my evening.
- Cuddles –
SomeMost days nothing beats a good snuggle. Curling up on the sofa with Darren after work is my favorite way to unwind. Warning: Naps may ensue.
How do you like to unwind after work? Do you like to read or have a hot bath? Or is there something else that helps you to shed your workday?