We’ve talked about how we keep things simple at Christmas and with Valentine’s Day fast approaching (two weeks today!) we thought it would be a great time to tell you how we celebrate the day in our usual, simple style.
We definitely try to keep things low key and more suited to who we are, not who everyone else thinks we should be. It’s all about the love, you know? Here are some of our must dos:
- Homemade cards are a must and one of the things we look forward to the most. They’re nothing fancy, just some plain white paper, pencil/markers/crayons of choice, a heart on the front, and sweet, personal words of love on the inside.
- We make a point of spending time together. We don’t take the day off work or anything, but it’s definitely a day for us to turn down plans with others and just focus on us.
- Because we both love food so much that’s what we typically give as gifts and more often than not it’s homemade. In the past I’ve been known to make Tiny Pies, Blueberry Cranberry Pie, and Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups.
- And of course there’s dinner. Often we stay in and make a really decadent meal or something beautifully simple and tasty or we’ll make a treat like pot pie, or stew – after all, it is a special occasion. Once in a while we’ll go out for dinner but we’ve been known to put it off until the following weekend to avoid the crowds.
Nice and simple huh? And if you’re looking for more ideas here are three of my favourites from Zen Habits:
- Write a poem – how this would melt my heart!
- Make strawberries dipped in chocolate
- Get great shareable take-out food, spread it across the coffee table, and indulge each other
Now it’s your turn. What do you do to show your love? Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? Are you all about grand romantic gestures? Or do you like to keep it simple?